Work has begun

greg101

Work has begun

Post by greg101 »

The spring time clear up and redesign has begun.
Attachments
Clearing the top to make way for a bog garden in raised borders
Clearing the top to make way for a bog garden in raised borders
time to remove another conifer
time to remove another conifer
clearing the area for the wifes shed come greenhouse she wants me to build from scratch
clearing the area for the wifes shed come greenhouse she wants me to build from scratch
the tree fern came from ian (grasstrees) thank you!
the tree fern came from ian (grasstrees) thank you!
lancewood tree, tree ferns from ian and a 30 year old shed that has to go
lancewood tree, tree ferns from ian and a 30 year old shed that has to go
Decking i designed and had built last year
Decking i designed and had built last year
All up the left hand side we plan to plant Dicksonia's
All up the left hand side we plan to plant Dicksonia's
me and my son bailey planting the raised border
me and my son bailey planting the raised border
my son helping
my son helping
border planted out
border planted out
ChrisG

Re: Work has begun

Post by ChrisG »

Greg

That looks good already. The steps are going to be lovely to walk up once all the Dicksonia antarctica are in. And good use of the balcony decking area to give you more space. Looks like you have some more hard work ahead of you for the summer. keep the photos coming.
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Looks like a major project Greg. Have you drawn out any plans or are you making it up as you go along?.............like I do :wink:
I cleared a large area last year and know just how much back breaking work is required.

Looking forward to seeing further progress reports.

Cheers
Steve
greg101

Post by greg101 »

Some of the work inlvolves sketches, some work just comes off the head like the raised border, i brought the sleepers last year but was going to put them up the top but when i started digging out the conifer the sleepers were in the way so hey presto. Other times like the decking and becky's new shed i designed on my 3d computer package. To be fair Becky comes up with ideas and i have to implement them for her.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Well done with all the hard work Greg! Its going to look great!

Is that a Cyathea medullaris you have in one of the photos??

Its beautiful! I just killed my baby one this winter- have you had it long? Did it over winter outside?

Am extremely jealous! :) I keep saying i wont buy any more plants that arent hardy but this is just one I cant stop wanting to try!
Last edited by Owen on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Greg are the cyathea's from Ian They look great :mrgreen:
greg101

Post by greg101 »

We have who cyathea's we brought from Ian. They look fine as far as we can tell we will just have to wait and see if it fronds. Ian kept them outside, he also assured me if they dont frond i will get my money back (one of the good guys!)
daz

Post by daz »

greg thats going to look bloody great mate well done icon_salut I love the steps mate a real feature.well done.
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Looks fab Greg, great potential there and I can already imagine what it'll look like! Love the idea of planting tree ferns all the way up the walkway, can't wait to see more pics in Summer!!!

Pete
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

That's a really clever design and use of the space and slope. I agree with others, it already looks good and it's going to look fantastic with all the planting you have planned. Your tree fern gully is a brilliant idea. Will you be building in some irrigation to keep them good and moist on that slope?
I'm loving the deck shelf!
Pete :mrgreen:
becky

Post by becky »

hes doing well isnt he ? hes done me proud thats good for someone who hated gardening 12 months ago, look at him now i only have to tell him an idea iv had and the following weekend hes doing it :lol: i cant believe the mess in the garden at the moment, the baby stuff was out there to keep my 5 month old baby occupied while we were busy doing stuff, but with in the next few weeks once everythink is cleared we will post you some more pictures
hopefully then the old shed will be gone , and it will look tidyer :D :D
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Looking great guys! You've got some really nice plants to put in there. Not sure about the deck (I'm terrrified of heights lol!)

Have I missed something, but who is this "Ian" you keep talking about?....
Mark

Post by Mark »

Fletch, Ian is a new member ( Grasstrees). I think he sells some good value plants possibly on eBay.

Greg, I think you have got the bug :lol: There is no cure. Garden will look great come summer.
How many Tree ferns are you hoping to plant down/up the steps?
They look brilliant planted like that. Keith and Melissa have created the same thing up in Norfolk with loads of different heights all mingled in.Gonna cost ya a bundle though icon_moneyeyes :lol:
greg101

Post by greg101 »

Yes Ian sells on ebay, he has had a huge clearout of plants, i think we had alot of them from him.

I am looking at five or six tree ferns up the steps maybe every other step or so. I think if they were between 2 or 3 foot high they would look great. Yep I blame the bug on Becky, the trouble is i want it all done yesterday now :roll: . I have so much clearing to do and a new project to do soon. Which involves making a 20ft long raised bed with an argave area and a bog plant area another raised bed with the to big phormiums in.

As for an Irrigation system i have briefly thought about it but i think would be difficult do to the varying height levels so i may have to stop up late in the summer and water the garden with a hose :D
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The treeferns are going to look amazing up that bank guys :D
In fact the whole gardens going to from the sounds of it :lol: