The many faces of Trachycarpus fortunei

Petefree

Re: The many faces of Trachycarpus fortunei

Post by Petefree »

That's an interesting form, Darren. Not seen one like that before. I rather like it though.
It does seem T fortunei is hugely variable. Maybe the trick is just to buy one with a form you like the look of (regardless of whether it has a fancy name tag or not)
Pete
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i like it aswell pete,its so thick in the crown it cant blow about much.its only a bog standard tf from nigel but has its own unique characteristic. will be in the ground in spring all being well too
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here's mine, It's also going in the ground when I've finished knocking the garden about.

bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

bought mine a few weeks ago and decided to keep it inside as it had been in a poly tunnel.
i seem to have semi split leaves with a few of them having the drooping effect too.

am i right in saying it has a big heel?? what does this mean to the future of the plant??
Attachments
PICT0264 (2).JPG
PICT0265.JPG
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Finally got round to adding to this thread.

The first image is what I feel is the archetypal Trachycarpus fortunei leaf, half round and not too big. Young plant though, in ground about two years.
Trachy 1.JPG
The next is a similar age plant with similar shaped but much bigger leaves.
Trachy 2.JPG
Finally the leaves on my Waggy in the front garden look more like fortunei the older and bigger the plant gets.
waggy.JPG
Cheers
Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Intetresting Steve, Your waggie getting more fortunei looking. My waggie looking fortunei, started out with tiny but rounded leaves, but has become more delta shaped with the central leaflets much longer than the side ones, the older it gets icon_scratch
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by trachy1973 »

That is a splendid looking waggie you have there SteveP. Has the palm flowered yet?

Keith
Libby

Post by Libby »

This is mine, been in the ground a couple of years, but it gets very wind blown as we are in quite an exposed site!
DSCF1608.JPG
DSCF1609.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Libby, I know how you feel, mine have all been battered over the last few days The 360 degree fans take the worst hit :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveP »

Dave Brown wrote:Intetresting Steve, Your waggie getting more fortunei looking.
Dave, whilst the leaves look a little fortunei like the overall appearance of the plant is typical waggie and the stiffness of the leaves means they always look in near perfect condition. This plant is in perhaps the most exposed part of my garden and never looks remotely untidy. Not a trait that fortunei is famed for.
Keith wrote:That is a splendid looking waggie you have there SteveP. Has the palm flowered yet?
Cheers Keith, its only been in the ground four or five years and grows remarkably quickly. It did send out one flower shoot last year. I expect a better 'display' this year.

Steve
jezza

Post by jezza »

The wind, especially today, was strong so both of mine are starting to look tatty.
cai williams

Post by cai williams »

my Trachycarpus has very variable leaves. some are delta shaped, some are semi circular, and some are over 180 degrees, all on the same Trachycarpus.[quote][/quote]
cai williams

Post by cai williams »

Libby wrote:This is mine, been in the ground a couple of years, but it gets very wind blown as we are in quite an exposed site!
DSCF1608.JPG
DSCF1609.JPG
Libby, i think that when the ends of the leaves droop down the way they do on yours, i think it looks prettier, and more like a Trachycarpus.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cai williams wrote:my Trachycarpus has very variable leaves. some are delta shaped, some are semi circular, and some are over 180 degrees, all on the same Trachycarpus.
That sounds interesting, any pics :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tropical Bob »

Great thread i had no idea there were so many variations! :D I saw an amaaazing waggy at Akamba last year, i assumed it was a fortunei as the leaves were SOoooo big and fresh lighter green, turned out it was a waggy and on closer inspection the leaves were quite stiff .. bad news was.. someone had allready bought it haha!