Winter, what winter?

Frank

Winter, what winter?

Post by Frank »

Had a day off yesterday and some time on my hands to take a few shots in between thinning out the bamboo. Apologies for the quality of the pics, only took out the snappy snap ......

Dry bed, most of the plants you see survived, including echeveria glauca and two aeoniums I left in situ. A few plants ended up on the compost heap too :wink:, notably the larger aloes ..... Yes, the dry bed was covered and my agaves were thanking me for it .....
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
Others were damaged more, like this puya :(
IMG_0004.JPG
Echeveria rosea not fussed by cold and starting to flower .....
IMG_0007.JPG
Aloe polyphylla had minor damage, the smaller one next to it suffered more .......
IMG_0009.JPG
My latest entertainment, bog garden built and planted up in Feb/March, had to keep myself occupied somehow during the dark months :lol:
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
Darlingtonia California
IMG_0021.JPG
Flowers all over the place, looking forward to what's in store .....
IMG_0022.JPG
How are all your gardens doing and any bits up to scratch already you are happy to show?
lee-ann

Re: Winter, what winter?

Post by lee-ann »

The dry bed looks fab :mrgreen:
Great pics
Simba

Post by Simba »

Looks like you have been blessed....

Those Cycads are looking mint... icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That looks really good Frank. Makes me want to finish mine :roll: What sort of temps did you get :?: Particularly like the height variation in the plants.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Frank »

Dave, -7c at least. I covered the front of the bed with polycarbonate sheeting (left over from greenhouse) suspended on spikes, the back (yucca and large tricocerus) were left to their own devices. The tricocerus was damaged on top where snow settled and my king protea died down to a stump but is shooting again. It's now dug up and in hospital care ..... Shows what difference the rain cover provides as the echeveria in the back are all mush too.
On days were we dipped below 0C I also threw some fleece over the front on top of the polycarbonate sheeting. The whole bed is also raised by 0.5 metres, not sure if that helps too and of course all planted in aggregate.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Those Cycads are looking mint...
:oops: I cheated a bit, the 'mint' looking ones came from Ikea recently and planted this year :lol: I had an identical sized one planted for the last two years, which isn't looking mint but certainly alive so I know they'll be fine. Also the barrel cactus is new and untested. They are not meant to be particularly hardy but this one survived -8C covered in a greenhouse so that gives me hope .....
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Nice looking garden, lots of healthy looking stuff :) Seems winter wasn't too harsh on your location. There are Echeverias grow on wall tops around here (the pearl von neurmberg (sp?), so they do tend to spread. There are also lots of let-loose evcheverias in Llandudno area.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Seems winter wasn't too harsh on your location
:lol: :lol:, it was the worst I've had in this garden and have lived in that house for 9 years ..... I haven't done any close up shots, reality is far more revealing :wink:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I find usually looking at arid bed photos on here, or at garden centres, that the arid/alpine species are usually the worst affected and probably more so than the 'lush' species. So you've definitely done well if you had -7C. Like I keep assuring myself - if they got through this winter, they'll get through anything (within reason) :lol:
Simba

Post by Simba »

Frank wrote:
Those Cycads are looking mint...
:oops: I cheated a bit, the 'mint' looking ones came from Ikea recently and planted this year :lol:...
Cheeky butter..... :lol:

They are amazing looking plants, and most definately on my "must have " list too, but I have only seen really large ones for sale at £600 recently..... :ahhh!:
Frank

Post by Frank »

I have only seen really large ones for sale at £600 recently.....
Ah, you missed the one on e-bay then, which measured 45cm trunk and went for £60.00 in the end in Dartford.
I was tempted but decided against it in the end as it's all just a long waiting game until they get bigger :lol: :lol:
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Looking really good Frank, we never got round to a dry arid bed here but we will hopefully have one at the new place :D , love the bog bed to it will look fab later on :D

Gary
Simba

Post by Simba »

Actually I was watching that auction unfurl....
Owen

Post by Owen »

Frank mate- i think it looks awful.

All those colours and forms- a complete mess visually. Im sorry you must be gutted.

And that compact Agave parryii - totally in the wrong place....

aarrrggggghhhh... I cant do it any longer....

Frank- it looks brilliant - you must be chuffed! I wanted a dry bed just like it and it all turned to mush.

Talk me through you carny bed- whats under the moss? It looks great- my only flowers so far is S. maxima- Your bed is going to look fantastic in a few weeks!

When can i pop over and visit and see it in person? :)
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Like the dry bed, Frank. Interesting to note what has or hasn't stood the winter !