japanese knotweed

bobbyd44

japanese knotweed

Post by bobbyd44 »

my father in law has this in his garden and has been running wild...but would it be suicidal of me do dig some up for a large pot and stop it from flowering???
Guy

Re: japanese knotweed

Post by Guy »

Yes it would. It would also be illegal, as control of this plant is mandatory and spreading it deliberately is a criminal act. Although this sounds melodramatic, having battled for years before finally successfully eradicating it from my garden, I would be severely piffed off if my neighbour started growing it :D
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

cheers guy thought some thing like that might be the case.
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Hi bobby

In the U.K. it was made illegal to spread Japanese knotweed by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. so I would think it not a wise move, there is a less invasive Knotweed that is a nicer looking plant to, hopefully someone will add the name as it escapes me at the moment :D

Gary
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Can't say this strongly enough, GET RID OF IT. As a builder i can tell you this stuff is a nightmare. It WILL grow thru concrete, it WILL grow thru and up the cavity of your house, it WILL grow anywhere. I have seen an entire building site put on stop for 2 years because this plant was discovered on site. Building work was not allowed to continue until it had been eradicated and apparently the best way to kill it is just as the new shoots / leaves in spring are coming up as it hasn't developed the protective layer / skin to protect it from chemicals etc

God bless the victorians for introducing this plant to us
simon

Post by simon »

Persicaria microcephala?
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

cheers will leave well alone. i know hes tried to sort it out before!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

We've had this topic crop up a couple of time before. This topic started out about bind weed but moved onto Japanese Knotweed :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by bobbyd44 »

cheers its a proper monster then??
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

bobbyd44 wrote:my father in law has this in his garden and has been running wild...but would it be suicidal of me do dig some up for a large pot and stop it from flowering???

funny i had contemplated this a few times in the past.
it is everywhere around here.

does this spread by seeds easily because i see a lot of it flowering in a few close by gardens each year?

i wouldnt want it to suddenly start springing up now i have started putting time and effort into my garden.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I believe it's all a clone off one and the same plant, and is not self-fertile..... but do you feel lucky? :lol:

It spreads vegetatively, with every piece of broken root potentially becoming a new plant.

Having said that I do have a division of Fallopia Sachalinensis, the so-called 'Giant Japanese knotweed' in a pot that I'm trying out this year. :ahhh!:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Nigel Fear wrote:Having said that I do have a division of Fallopia Sachalinensis, the so-called 'Giant Japanese knotweed' in a pot that I'm trying out this year. :ahhh!:
That's just as invasive, and even worse, it hybridises with the Japanese, and the hybrid (which can set fertile seed) is even worse . . . be very, very careful!!
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I have in my garden and its a f******g nightmare.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Nigel Fear wrote: Having said that I do have a division of Fallopia Sachalinensis, the so-called 'Giant Japanese knotweed' in a pot that I'm trying out this year. :ahhh!:
Is that the one Will Giles has in his Garden in a pot :?:
Leigh
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Japanese Knotweed contains large amounts of a compound called Resveratrol the so called wonder anti aging antioxidant. Which is why it is so difficult to kill. Most pharmaceuticals sell this form from japanese Knotweed rather from Red grapes another source of Resveratrol famously known in red Wine for the French Paradox whereby you eat lots of fatty rich food but are protected by drinking red wine also. drunken_smilie1