How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

col

Re: How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

Post by col »

As I mentioned in a previous post, I bought my first Dicksonia antarctica this week from Urban Jungle and the delightful lady there (Melissa, whats her name?) helped me pick one with great knuckles in the centre, so I should get good fronds in my first year.

I have a question though - my Dicksonia antarctica is tagged as you'd expect, but the tag is from Victoria and not Tasmania. Are the ones from Victoria quite as hardy as the Tasmanian ones, given that they are from a warmer, more northerly source. Sean? As our resident Aussie, what do you reckon?

I am back home for a day from my travels, so before I leave again tomorrow, my Dicksonia antarctica is getting planted up!

Col
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Steve, the way Dicksonia antarctica trunks are formed just tie the two halves together and they will nit. If one half is dead the other half will root into it and it should look better being round rather than half moon shaped. :wink:

Darran, I didn't think C. cooperi were that hardy maybe because you lose the fronds in even light frost. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Melissa »

col wrote:As I mentioned in a previous post, I bought my first Dicksonia antarctica this week from Urban Jungle and the delightful lady there (Melissa, whats her name?) helped me pick one with great knuckles in the centre
Col
Liz :D

Melissa
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Here ya go Melissa,the pics as promised.Sorry if they're a bit naff quality,had to do them on my phone and its s.... last time I get a nokia :roll:
08042009413.jpg
08042009416.jpg
its alive!
its alive!
er......Houston we have a problem :shock: thanks to the nice men who work for the US deparrtment of agriculture,there seems to be a little bit missing.No doubt from where they hit it with an axe of something along them lines :lol:
slight problem
slight problem
What do you think I should do with the gap guys?stick a little Dicksonia antarctica in there perhaps :idea:

Steve
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I didn't realise they had split in down the middle :ahhh!: .

Why did you order one from America Steve?
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Thanks for the pic Steve, how strange, why were they cutting it in half?

Are the fronds forming on both halves, if so I'd be inclined to let it grow as a double header.

You could try packing some moss in the gap so the roots have something to grow into. But thats only a bit of a guess as I haven't come across this problem before.

Keep us posted on this, it will be interesting to see what happens with it.

Melissa
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Looks like a DEA attack Steve. They've cut it in half to see if drugs were concealed inside. :roll: As Fletch said why were you ordering from the US :?: You can buy these at B & Q :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

DavidF wrote:I didn't realise they had split in down the middle :ahhh!: .

Why did you order one from America Steve?
In a word Fletch,I didn't.It was returned to me after I'd agreed to ship it to a friend in Chicago.Obviously it got stopped by US customs and the s*** hit the fan basically.An experience I'll not be repeating ever again :lol:
Melissa wrote:Thanks for the pic Steve, how strange, why were they cutting it in half?

Are the fronds forming on both halves, if so I'd be inclined to let it grow as a double header.

You could try packing some moss in the gap so the roots have something to grow into. But thats only a bit of a guess as I haven't come across this problem before.

Keep us posted on this, it will be interesting to see what happens with it.

Melissa
Hi Melissa
The USDA were going to charge me to have it sent back here,but thankfully after a few emails they agreed to destroy it instead.And then they shipped it back to me free of charge,bas****s :evil:
I'll give the moss a go,can't do any harm can it :lol:
simon

Post by simon »

Steve, that is a very bizarre story. At least it has some life in it. Perhaps when it is fully fronded you can send them a picture, since they did such a good job of "destroying" it for you :evil: .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

You wouldn't believe we have a 'special relationship' with the way we are at war with each other over trans Atlantic parcels, with customs both sides of the pond wishing to cut all ties. :roll: Seems thay have all done a doctorate in Bar-stewardship :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

deb had a good idea,bit late but there ya go.she suggest put some fleece in the split,for the time being anyway and train it to grow two trunks.given time,would grow into a unique talking point
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Mark

Post by Mark »

Steve, Fancy tring to send a 6ft Tree fern to the U.S markedas toilet rolls :lol:

I agree with Dave. I bet it was split to see if there were drugs in it.

Would be cool if it did grow into a double header 8)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I had it sent as a wooden statue Mark,thought that'd explain the weight and size of the thing :lol:
I personally thought a smaller specimen would've been better to ship,but Mike was adamant he wanted a 3 footer.Makes it just over the accepted international shipping size by most couriers.Only ups would take it and that cost a small fortune.Just glad it wasn't my money at the end the day is all I can say,feel really bad for Mike,but what can you do :roll:
themes

Post by themes »

I remember a while back reading something DaveB said about watering Dicksonia antarctica. I brought one from B&Q looking sickly with two witherered half fronds. I Have kept it indoors and poured gallons of water on it. It has loads of fronds now and they are really large. I think it is the frequency rather the quantity you water...thats why drip feeds give such good results..trying to water as close to three times a day. Going to apply this to all the tree ferns in the garden now..as \I did not understand the benefits..as argueably only a few cluster of plants benefit so much from water like Gunnera for example. This is definately a plant that you can not over water
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm hating this cold wet weather we are having, but not everything does. :lol:

The Dicksonia antarctica's are lovin it :wink:

Not knuckles now..... croziers
Attachments
160409 DA croziers.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright