Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

mixiepalms

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Post by mixiepalms »

one suffers, one grows, guess it goes to prove a plants provinence is crucial for survival.
Attachments
cidp1.jpg
cidp2.jpg
musa_monkey

Re: Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Post by musa_monkey »

I have the same thing, one just about hanging on, i had to cut it right back but another some 6ft away has some minor damage and is now growing away well. :?
jezza

Post by jezza »

Two dead, another with spears that die off after they've reached full height, only a cheapy £2.50 one left that's in full health. I won't buy any more of them.
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

Jezza,Buy one more,put it in a big pot,and bring it right up to the wall of your house for the winter,its too nice of a palm to give up on.
jezza

Post by jezza »

I'll wait for my £2.50 one to grow. It's 2ft now so a few years it should be a nice plant.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Buy small, grow cold, toughen them up :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by palmking »

My larger but younger one against a south facing wall is growing quickly now. All the older leaves /trunk are nice and green but the top foot or so of new growth was blue-not brown, like a butia with frostbite . Its greening up lower down and the newest spears are returning to normal. I've cut off the deadened growth. It'll recover fine. It's a 5 foot plant with a good base.

The other is under a conifer canopy and has no damage at all and is growing fine.

The key!!! - Keep them dry and as Dave said grow them tough!!! :lol:

Paul .

All my other palms-chammies and trachys are pretty undamaged too and racing away. I've seen a couple of dead small Phoenix canariensis_CIDP locally - My neighbours two decent sized ones got some browning but are growing/greening up fine.
GanEden

Post by GanEden »

palmking wrote:My larger but younger one against a south facing wall is growing quickly now. All the older leaves /trunk are nice and green but the top foot or so of new growth was blue-not brown, like a butia with frostbite . Its greening up lower down and the newest spears are returning to normal. I've cut off the deadened growth. It'll recover fine. It's a 5 foot plant with a good base.

The other is under a conifer canopy and has no damage at all and is growing fine.

The key!!! - Keep them dry and as Dave said grow them tough!!! :lol:

Paul .

All my other palms-chammies and trachys are pretty undamaged too and racing away. I've seen a couple of dead small Phoenix canariensis_CIDP locally - My neighbours two decent sized ones got some browning but are growing/greening up fine.
Hi Paul

Are there some Chamaerops or Trachies planted outside Stockport town hall?

Lee
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

I have just realised that my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP (had to work out what that meant) has succumbed, the centre is rotten, the newest spears just came away to the touch, the crown is full of water.

Surprising because the lowest temperature for this last winter was only -2, and that only on just a few nights. It has come through harder winters, having been in the ground for 8 or 9 years, and it has had it tough as far as growing conditions, about a foot of dry soil over chalk, and no additional watering.

What to put in its place?
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hi Lee and welcome to HTUK!

Are you recently living in Australia? as you are asking about Stockport. (never been that far from home, myself :roll: )
Cathy :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Lee and welcome icon_salut are you in the Perth area, to gauge what climate you are in :wink:

Chalk Brow, we had quite a wet winter here (kent) with depressions to the south during the cold periods. Presume you might have had similar..... Phoenix canariensis_CIDP does not like cold and wet which might explain the spear pull. All is not lost though as they may recover from this if the centre of the crown is kept dry :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Chalk Brow »

Yes we have had some prolonged periods of wet here too. I shall wait before doing anything about my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in view of the hope you've given Dave. I noticed that a near neighbour has dug up and thrown out their Phoenix canariensis_CIDP with similarly missing central spears.

I will now see what I can do to remove the water flooding the crown. Thanks for the advice.
dyls

Post by dyls »

Dave Brown wrote:Phoenix canariensis_CIDP does not like cold and wet
Cold wet is the default winter for where I live, and they seem to do fine. It probably depends on the degree of "cold". Perhaps freezing wet is what kills them (typically, sub zero here means dry).

They do seem to like cool wet, though. All my CIDPs went a very deep green during the last two cool, soggy "summers". They typically look their worst during Spring, where they tend to go a bit yellowish. (In fact all my palms look their worst during the springtime, except perhaps chamerops humilis that seems to be totally bulletproof).
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Dyls you get mild wet winters, what I meant was the rain, then freezing, or near freezing conditions which then lasts for a few days. Phoenix canariensis_CIDP probably do best in cool wet. 18 to 22C as they get most of the year in their homeland in Canaries. :wink: I suspect in Spain they don't grow at all in summer.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by dyls »

Dave Brown wrote: Phoenix canariensis_CIDP probably do best in cool wet. 18 to 22C as they get most of the year in their homeland in Canaries.
In which case mine will probably become whoppers... it's funny, the two I have in the ground at the moment - bought as £3 "bedding plants" in 2006 from B&Q look like they mean business this year. I can't quite explain exactly why, but they just look like they really are going to get down to a good bit of growing, I think they've already started to grow this year - previously, they didn't start moving until well into July. I bought these plants when I read and naively believed the label that said "6 feet in 10 years" and thought that's how big they ever got! (At least they aren't too close to the house...I originally had 4, one has been donated to my Dad, another's in a pot and probably ought to be "guerrilla gardened" somewhere)

(Also, at last my waggies look like they might take off. This year they started to move early this month and have two spears visible instead of the next spear not appearing until the earlier one is nearly fully open).