Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Cathy

Re: Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Post by Cathy »

How to kill a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP :( well, not quite, but almost :(

The spear is solid and showing glimpses of green, they do say where there is life...The fronds have mostly been cut where they had frozen, then snapped in the winds. :( not because they were in the way.
planted in ground early 2008 (gate moved) and after a hard winter...
planted in ground early 2008 (gate moved) and after a hard winter...
Whoever told me they are hardy!?!

Cathy.
Attachments
...now, alive - just!
...now, alive - just!
2007 - pre assassination attempt!
2007 - pre assassination attempt!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Cathy wrote:
Whoever told me they are hardy!?!

Cathy.
DIY Sheds mostly, I've always had them down as marginal away from the coast. but even some on the coast got zapped last winter. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jezza »

My local focus diy have a handful of Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's left in stock. They are in a terrible state with half the soil missing from the pots, yet they are still trying to sell them at full price!
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Jezza, I would spend my money on something else!
Cathy.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cathy, she had a fine figure there, shame she got all burnt up in the winter, she was a beautiful specimen with a good trunk, she's a bit past her prim now sadly, what will you do with her :?: keep her and hope she recovers or is it the bin with her :?:

icon_sunny Nick icon_sunny
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Nick, I have not given up hope yet, so please don't speak too soon! :roll:
Cathy.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Cathy wrote:Jezza, I would spend my money on something else!
Cathy.
I've bought all i want for the moment. Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's aren't on my list of wants.
TimDA1

Post by TimDA1 »

Although I have a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP myself - which also looks very brown at the moment, and also seems to occasionally send out small, stunted leaves - I do wonder what their attraction is.. They are not the most glam of palms are they?...... I guess its bcos we are not overwhelmed with palms we can grow in the UK. If my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is brown bread, I'll swap it with my Butia Cap that I got last year.

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's are also sooo common (snob or what!!!) :lol: If only we could grow bottle palms outdoors!!!!! Now that is what I call a palm.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Tim your right, if only we could could grow the Bottle Palm, but then if we could grow it here there would be palms all over the country side and palms would be like any other common English plant, there would be no challenge in growing it then, but if you were able to grow one and keep it alive then that would be really something, Like myself, I would like to be able to grow a Coconut palm or two, but the only way I'll be able to grow them is to move to the tropics or Ashia, but Tim we all like to dream and it's good to dream mate :) :)

Cathy

Post by Cathy »

A Question...

I am wondering, would a generous shot of palmbooster help?

Is it too early in the season for this?

Thanks for any advise, Cathy x
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I must admit it was the CIDPs in Palma Mallorca that got me into exotic plants, so always have a special appeal to me. It was only about 20 years ago that they started to become available as plants, before that if you wanted one you had to grow it from seed or have it imported. It is only the DIY sheds that have made them as 'common as muck' and despite what they say they are not reliably hardy, which is what we are hearing on here. Over the years I have lost numerous CIDs for various reasons, most common to spear pull in the spring. :roll:

To me at my time of life, I have to go for something that can grow fast, and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP fit the bill perfectly. A 2 foot Butia will be a 10 foot Butia in 15 to 20 years, a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP can make at least double that growth. Obviously, everyone makes up their own mind about what they want to grow, but there will always be a place for Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in my garden :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kentgardener »

I think I must have been lucky as mine has come through unscathed and is well into growth already. icon_cheers

John
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kentgardener wrote:I think I must have been lucky as mine has come through unscathed and is well into growth already. icon_cheers

John
John, I don't think it was luck, more location. :wink: I have lived in Dartford and Gavesend which are only 7 miles apart, but the climate is different. Dartford has a Outer London Suburb climate, but Gravesnd a Thames Estuary climate moderated by Esturial breezes. You are even closer to the Estury than me so the moderation may be more. Mixie lives a couple of miles more inland and seems to have copped much colder temps. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kentgardener »

good point - I am only half a mile from the estuary - but also protected from the winds because of the built up nature round here.

In fact I don't think I have lost any palms this winter icon_cheers

John
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cathy with my record of speaking to soon, I also hope not, you know what I mean