John
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: What is your most hated gardening chore

Post by Dave Brown »

kentgardener wrote:Dave,

dig up the box hedge and plant a row of black bamboo :wink: :lol:

John
I'm still trying to get rid of the Black bamboo I had. :lol: :lol: :lol: Might work if I trenched it with paving slabs so that it could run up and down, but not out. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Anything to do with oak trees. We have a 40ft oak tree on one side of the garden and another in the neighbours garden on the other side. Every time the wind blows I find more leaves to rake up, its never ending. When the trees flower everything is covered in a fine dust and dead flowers, particularly the pond. This year we are going to have a bumper crop of acorns which means I will be filling plastic sacks with them come the autumn and next year I'll still have lots of little oak trees coming up in the most awkward places. :x
Andy
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sounds like you need 'Rent a Squirrel' recall Gaz has some spare :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by collins99 »

Putting all the kids toys away every night so i can enjoy the peace and quiet , in a tidy garden.... :lol: :lol:

nick....
chris

Post by chris »

Mine has to be clearing away moggy poo as some local cat has decided that my gravelled front garden makes a good litter tray. :evil: :evil: :evil:
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

clearing the number twos from 2 big lurchers and one yorkie every day, and scrubbing the patio. an everday chore come rain or shine. All part of having pets tho.
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

Dave, how about cloud pruning your box hedge? It might make it more interesting to trim if you turned it into a piece of sculpture...
Tessa

Post by Tessa »

My most hated gardening chore?

SLUG REMOVAL! I hate Hate HATE the slimy, gooey, sticky, disgusting, little, fat, creepy blighters. You have to keep up with it or they eat things overnight. In fact, I didn't go out in the garden today due to the rain and so didn't remove and dispose of any of the vile things so I bet they are just happily munching away at my beloved leopard plant right now! Grrrrrr! :evil:

~ Tessa
themes

Post by themes »

Tessa wrote:My most hated gardening chore?

SLUG REMOVAL! I hate Hate HATE the slimy, gooey, sticky, disgusting, little, fat, creepy blighters. You have to keep up with it or they eat things overnight. In fact, I didn't go out in the garden today due to the rain and so didn't remove and dispose of any of the vile things so I bet they are just happily munching away at my beloved leopard plant right now! Grrrrrr! :evil:

~ Tessa
About a year ago I posted a thread on slug capture. I made a remark which i regret now (Anybody who reads my posts, will be aware already), I am prone to idiosyncratic behaviour :oops:. I was conceited enough to believe that I would be able to beat slugs single handedly, and scoffed at Cathy for giving up on some plants because they were prone to be eaten by slugs. I can see the damage they can do and agree with your sentiments Tessa.

Cathy, if you read this I would like to make a whole hearted apology. I furthermore retract my statement and bow to your wisdom on this occasion, and I am sure many more occasions. I will not give up on growing plants that get attacked by slugs, however I can now see why some may think they are more bother then they are worth, and why should i grow slug food.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Victoria wrote:Dave, how about cloud pruning your box hedge? It might make it more interesting to trim if you turned it into a piece of sculpture...
Missed this last night, Anyway, welcome to the forum Victoria icon_salut Not sure what cloud pruning is, but sculpting would mean more cuts than I make now. :lol: Also it is not very exotic...... now an Agave americana hedge would be far more exotic...... probably get in trouble with next door though.... after being speared while mowing his lawn :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kentgardener »

I don't have grass.....

I don't have weeds....

I guess there is nothing to hate in my garden. icon_cheers

Maybe cleaning out the pond filter every few days - no.... on second thoughts that is even fun as I have the koi swimming around my arms.

Can't think of anything at the moment. :D

John
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Would you like some acorns John :twisted:
I even found one growing into an oak tree in an old leaf joint on the Ensete ventricosum :roll:
Andy
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

my walnut which i found in a tree fern is now 7 ins tall.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure