Arum Lily - Pruning/cutting back?

Chalk Brow

Re: Arum Lily - Pruning/cutting back?

Post by Chalk Brow »

Libby ~ It seems that once established the white arum (Zantedeschia aethiopica) will grow happily almost anywhere. They do well in moist soil and I've seen them thriving in an open position in full sun; they grow well enough on my shallow dry chalk soil.
simon

Post by simon »

The Yellow Z. elliotiana is shooting three or four stems just this week. It seems much later than usual, this year but not surprising after the winter we have had. They usually shoot more stems too, so I guess many of the corms were lost to the frost.

I also have a red variety which I believe may be a form of Z. rehmannii with more lance shaped leaves as opposed to the (saggitate?) shield shape. this one came back much soon and more vigourously on clumps. It's not as nice as the elliotiana varieties and tends to flop a bit later in the summer.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I've got a row of Z. aethiopica growing as a sort of 'hedge' in the most inhospitable clay-like 'soil' you could imagine. In summer it bakes hard and dry, but in winter it is saturated. My plants normally start growing in September and flowering commences in late Feb/early March continuing to late May or June. After this they yellow and die down for the summer.

This time around, they resumed growth as normal, but the foliage was decimated during winter. New leaves appeared in February and first flowers unfurled in May - the latest they've ever opened here. Currently there must be 50 or more flowers open, with many more buds to come and the sweet fragrance wafts in through the windows.

Despite last winter and the plants losing their leaves, they have performed better than ever this year. I was going to get rid of them, but after this there's an indefinite stay of execution.
Libby

Post by Libby »

Chalk Brow wrote:Libby ~ It seems that once established the white arum (Zantedeschia aethiopica) will grow happily almost anywhere. They do well in moist soil and I've seen them thriving in an open position in full sun; they grow well enough on my shallow dry chalk soil.
I will see if I can squeeze it in down by the pond!
simon

Post by simon »

DaveP wrote:My plants normally start growing in September and flowering commences in late Feb/early March continuing to late May or June. After this they yellow and die down for the summer.
that is really interesting, Dave. I didn't know they had a cycle like that. I have been growing the 'Calla Lilly' types for a few years now and they have the normal spring to autumn cycle. If aetheopica behaves like you say, it might explain why my pots of 'Green Goddess' seem to be dying down right now. I did ask the question on another thread but don't think anyone answered.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Libby wrote:
Chalk Brow wrote:Libby ~ It seems that once established the white arum (Zantedeschia aethiopica) will grow happily almost anywhere. They do well in moist soil and I've seen them thriving in an open position in full sun; they grow well enough on my shallow dry chalk soil.
I will see if I can squeeze it in down by the pond!
...even in the shallow end of the pond Libby.
Libby

Post by Libby »

actually in the water???