Yucca G

Edo

Yucca G

Post by Edo »

Check the size of my Yucca(i think that its Gloriosa).
Im a bit afraid from getting broken, cos maybe trunk cant stand all that weight, because its tapered from the bottom to the top.
What do you think guys?

My foots are there just for scale.
Attachments
Photo446.jpg
Photo447.jpg
Photo449.jpg
bev

Re: Yucca G

Post by bev »

looks o.k to me edo, those trunks are quite strong although after the recent confusion over gloriosa/recurvifolia i'd say yours was the latter. my gloriosa leaves are vicious and never recurve. yours look to have some softness to them. i'm sure it's because of the garden centres miss-labeling that i thought they were just different forms :roll:

cheers

lee
Edo

Post by Edo »

Thanks Bev,
It may be that one that you`ve mentioned.
This one is that that clumps, but i remove those new ones from around, to trunk it a bit more.
Also, this one never flowers, and i dont know whys that for?
Maybe i need to have two close or something?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi edo,the problem with these snapping normally occurs after they have branched out,this is because the branches sort of come out sideways before curving upwards creating a weak point which the weight of the crown levers down on.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Edo

Post by Edo »

Ah, ok, does this one branches at all?
bev

Post by bev »

mine hasn't flowered either edo, although the veriegated one has. some in gardens near me flower every year without fail and form big clumps, while others don't. i'm sure yours will soon. good luck icon_thumright

lee
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

yours should flower oneday,when it does,it will more than likely branch out afterwards.even when it does,dont worry about it snapping off,i havent personally done it but i reckon they would re-root quite easily. you see draceanas and yuccas in diy stores dirt cheap here,all they are is re-rooted bits of stump from other plants
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

wow hat a fat tenjk icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumright icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

too many shandies andrew??
grub

Post by grub »

redsquirrel wrote:too many shandies andrew??
:lol:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

:lol: good old saturday nights

Ed it'll be fine, I wouldn't worry about topweight :)

ps the last picture is interesting it shows a similar habit to how tender Cordylines react to a cold winter, by pushing out lots of new young leaves :)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

ive noticed that too stephen and come to the conclusion the plants might carry on developing new leaves inside rather than pushing out new growth during longer cold spells
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

redsquirrel wrote:ive noticed that too stephen and come to the conclusion the plants might carry on developing new leaves inside rather than pushing out new growth during longer cold spells
If that's true that would be a very interest defence mechanism against the cold, gives the impression that the plant is 'thinking'

It does end up looking fairly scruffy though.

Some Torbay Dazzlers look like that around here, albeit look completely healthy but have that strange leaf development
Arctic Nuts

Post by Arctic Nuts »

Lets be careful to avoid pseudoscience here chaps.
Edo

Post by Edo »

It may be that what you´ve said, Darren, but lets see what is gonna be, eventually,
albeit, it produces new growth depending not how winter cold/mild was, but depending on how much it takes nutrition from around.

Also, im not quite sure whys that, but around three foots in diameter around trunk it self, doesnt let any other, even hardiest weed to grow.
Whys that-i dont know. If anyone have any ideas, please post it.