themes

Re: Lets have some cheery garden pics

Post by themes »

Get them all in the ground Dazza!
themes

Post by themes »

What do you plan to grow there Hadge?

also I downloaded that mpg but it was just a video of your windowframe and a strange buzzing sound. I take it you intended to upload a pcture instead you uploaded a mpg. I do that all the time i think I am taking a pic and up making a movie. frog on frog action or something :roll:
plan b

Post by plan b »

not posted any pictures of the garden for a while, still have probably the most wind shredded musa's on here, but still no breakages :) :)
The forum has been a great help this year. and with all the pictures of stunning gardens on here i think i might have the confidence to up the ante in my own patch.
cheers paul.

irish dave

Post by irish dave »

:shock: Plan B your bananas are top class icon_thumleft
themes

Post by themes »

irish dave wrote::shock: Plan B your bananas are top class icon_thumleft
if thats Plan B I wonder what plan a would be like. Great Bananas.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Lee, and if I've not said it before, welcome to the forum icon_salut

As said Ensete Maurelii (if from B&Q) the Banana Palm, will need to be kept dry and frost free. The only other thing is a word of warning. The palm at the front looks like Trachycarpus fortunei. If so, it will get to 8 to 10 feet diameter in 6 or 8 years, and it is best not to move them once established, or they will get set back. It will completely cover you path, so I would plant all palms midway or to the back of the border. The other palm looks like a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP Phoenix canariensis. This if it survives is a monster of a tree 25 feet in diameter, with a 4 or 5 foot diameter trunk. See HERE for how it mkight look in 15 years. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dave in Warrington »

plan b wrote:not posted any pictures of the garden for a while, still have probably the most wind shredded musa's on here, but still no breakages :)
....yes you beat me on the shredded Musa, I thought mine were shredded but even your mature growth has took a thrashing .:ahhh!:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think mine were pretty shredded last year :lol:

Lots of shredding and two broken leaves
Attachments
23112008 garden 015.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

plan b,

I would love to see some shots of the other plants you have!

I can see a few glimpses of them in your photos, but not much.

Nice 'nana by the way :D
themes

Post by themes »

Dave Brown wrote:I think mine were pretty shredded last year :lol:

Lots of shredding and two broken leaves
DaveB, the Musas look battered. You have strong wind :lol:
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

I'm going to cheat, the garden come this time of the year is so parched it is far from at its best (but I'm working on it!). So here are some of the plants in pots.
Attachments
e Cana 'Erebus' 0234.jpg
e Strobilanthese 0231.jpg
e Justicia carnea  0229.jpg
e Aloe dhufarrensis 0199.jpg
e Aloe seedling no 3 0186.jpg
e Aloe polyphylla 0220.jpg
themes

Post by themes »

I've got a few aloes.. but your photo does them a great service. That persian shield also looks fantastic, it reminds me of peacocks.
Lee Cole

Post by Lee Cole »

Dave Brown wrote:Hi Lee, and if I've not said it before, welcome to the forum icon_salut

As said Ensete Maurelii (if from B&Q) the Banana Palm, will need to be kept dry and frost free. The only other thing is a word of warning. The palm at the front looks like Trachycarpus fortunei. If so, it will get to 8 to 10 feet diameter in 6 or 8 years, and it is best not to move them once established, or they will get set back. It will completely cover you path, so I would plant all palms midway or to the back of the border. The other palm looks like a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP Phoenix canariensis. This if it survives is a monster of a tree 25 feet in diameter, with a 4 or 5 foot diameter trunk. See HERE for how it mkight look in 15 years. :wink:

Thanks for all your advise, the lable on the palm said its a windmill palm & only grows 2-3 leaves a year i got it from B&Q is this not the case? i might have to rethink were i have placed it has i had planted them before i read your thread, The Ensete Maurelii i got from a place called palm springs cost £8.50 is that good value for size ? i was told by them that if i cover it over winter it should be ok as long as we dont have bad winter
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

Lee Cole wrote:The Ensete Maurelii i got from a place called palm springs cost £8.50 is that good value for size ? i was told by them that if i cover it over winter it should be ok as long as we dont have bad winter
[/quote]

no chance lee, bad advice. needs digging up and storing.

where is palm springs?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Lee, (Chinese) Windmill Palm, or Chusan Palm are common names for Trachycarpus fortunei. Some of the more inventive outlets even call it Chamaerops excelsior which it was called for a while in the distant past :lol: Height 6 ft in 10 years, 15ft in 20 years etc, but they grow to maximum width before the trunk grows, so you are looking at 6 to 10 feet full diameter, unless you remove most of the leaves. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright