Who's got a whopper - (Alocasia Colocaisa leaf) behave - lol

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Who's got a whopper - (Alocasia Colocaisa leaf) behave - lol

Post by Dave Brown »

I have been trying to grow huge leaves particularly with Colocasia and Alocasia (Elephant Ears) for a few years now, and my Burgundy stem was famed for being in excess of 90cm in 2005, then I got Colocasia mammoth to 98cm in 2007. Then Alocasia portadora reached 104cm in 2008... this year I'm struggling a bit arounfd the 90cm mark.

However, John (Kentgardener) Has a Colocaisa Thai Giant which seems to be proving to be whopper of the year :lol: Even more... a double whopper :lol: His latest leaf is 120cm and it has a new leaf emerging :shock: We Have tried Alocasia Borneo Giant, and heard about Alocaisa robusta which is the largest single, unsplit leaf in the world, but these are hopelessly heat dependant and do not do well here...... This one of John's is growing outside in the UK :shock: So should be a good contender for leaf of the year :lol:

Here is John modelling his Thai Giant. The fig leaf that leaves everything to the imagination :lol: Two leaves are total body cover :lol:
310809 Johns Giant.jpg
Well done John icon_thumright

Let's see your biggest leaves this year :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Who's got a whopper - lol

Post by bev »

that is one big plant jon :shock:

when you see it against you for scale you realize how big it is! icon_thumright

lets hope it has a pup frenzy

cheers

lee
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

This is one of the leaves we cut off our A macrorrrhiza earlier in the year, unfortunately since then the plant has flowered continually so there leaves have got smaller and smaller.
DSC01862.JPG
Me for size :D

Melissa
themes

Post by themes »

icon_cheers arundo donax! I don't like that leaf its obscuring the view of the garden :(
Nick

Post by Nick »

Theme's down boy, have you not been taking your Bromide again :lol: :lol:
Melissa that's one very big leaf, it would be nice to see it in flower as never seen one in flower before, here or while on holiday.

Kent gardener yours is impressive as well, it looks a good healthy plant you've got yourself there, what do you feed them with if anything :?: :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

theese are plants i really want to give a try next year.. can we get alist going of the hardier and larger ones daves mammoth has done well.. but where is it available??
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Rob, we can start a list of what does well, but with Alocasia and Colocasia they are very variable. For instance, the Wilkinson's mislabelled Alocasia that we called Colocasia Mammoth was very big in 2007, and the 2007 ones grew big again in 2008, but the 2008 bought ones did not do as well :roll: . I can't tell you to go out and look for Colocasia Mammoth, as it may not exist as a listed plant.

Also my Alocasia calidora grew reasonable size leaves, but John got hold of a huge leafed one. I now have a pup of that one and it look impressive. with 86cm leaf atm. and another one growing now.
240809 A calidora.jpg
Another one that is good for me is Alocasia portadora, or portdora. It grew huge last year See HERE and well into November so is capable of growth in cool conditions. The only problem was I left it out in the wrong winter :roll: I bought a replacement this year and it is doing very well again, with the latest leaf at 99cm and should get another 2 possibly 3 leaves this season.
280809 A portadora bed.jpg
Colocasia Mammoth (Wilko's Alocasia) is also doing very well with the largest leaf 95cm which was still growing, but alas the high winds ripped the lower portion of the leaf off. Measuring both halves it was 98cm, but this plant has another leaf growing so we will have to see. :wink:
This was before the leaf was ripped in two measuring 95cm
270809 New Bed 1200.jpg
This is the 2007 original bulb, from which the other monsters were taken. This was left out and has grown back from being frozen in Feb 2009. See HERE
310809 2007 C Mammoth BG.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jezza »

Melissa wrote:This is one of the leaves we cut off our A macrorrrhiza earlier in the year, unfortunately since then the plant has flowered continually so there leaves have got smaller and smaller.
DSC01862.JPG
Me for size :D

Melissa

Hubba hubba Image
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

:D Great photos. There's July and August, we only need another 10 :D

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Nick, it's had 7 flowers alltogether, most of which I've cut off as they really knock the plant back and you don't get the big leaves. It won't grow any big leaves again until next year. Anyway I didn't take many pic's, but this one shows a flower thats gone over and is now forming seeds.
DSC02971.JPG
And this is a close up of the 'flower'
DSC02077.JPG
There you go Mo you can see the garden now
DSC02970.JPG
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Melissa
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

jezza wrote: Hubba hubba Image
Thanks Jezza icon_thumleft :D

Melissa
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thank you Melissa, what a strange looking flower, I am looking forward to the list of hardy-er one's that we all might be able to grow icon_cheers icon_cheers

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Mellissa.. You've lost a lotta weight but if you could turn around to confirm :D icon_blackeye
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Andy Martin wrote:Mellissa.. You've lost a lotta weight but if you could turn around to confirm :D icon_blackeye
Nice try Andy :wink:

Melissa
jezza

Post by jezza »

Melissa wrote:
jezza wrote: Hubba hubba Image
Thanks Jezza icon_thumleft :D

Melissa

You are quite welcome 8)