Colocasia Mammoth - Spot the difference 1 year on

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Colocasia Mammoth - Spot the difference 1 year on

Post by Dave Brown »

You are probably sick to death of my Colocasia Mammoth in the shady North Border, but here are 2 pictures taken exactly 1 year apart. What is the main difference :?:

17th July 2008
170709 C Mammoth FG 01.jpg
17th July 2009
170708 Colocasia M FG 01.jpg
Well did you spot the difference :?: Not much in it really :roll: The main difference you cannot see..... in the pic top pic the C. Mammoth had been planted out for 2 weeks after being overwintered in the covered bit. In the bottom pic the C.Mammoth has grown back from being left out unprotected, in the coldest winter for 20 years, and is near as dm it, at the same stage of growth. Not all Colocasia are viable to come back and grow to a reasonable size, but this one is. icon_cheers In the end none of the C Mammoth I left out died, they have all come back, and the big one in the warmer back garden is bigger than this one icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Colocasia Mammoth - Spot the difference 1 year on

Post by Nigel Fear »

Dave, did the winter's frost encroach on that part of your garden?
Looks great by the way, I.m not sick of hearing about succesful experiments on tropical plants. 8)
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

still need some of these damm wilkos for not stocking this year!! :evil:
they look great dave come back so well after this winter help so close to the house i bet!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nigel, The temp 5 feet above that Collie went down to -5.7C and the wall is north facing with no sun, and full exposure to the NE gales we had with snow. The border does catch the rising sun from mid April to end of August. Those in the back garden were more exposed to frost, but were more sheltered from the NE gales.

Here is the larger C Mammoth in the back garden. This is shaded by other plants but the garden is a degree or 2 warmer than the front. :wink:

Here is the awaking rhizome on 30th April.
170709 C Mammoth BG 01.jpg
and here today, 10 weeks later
300409 Mommoth 02.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by marie06 »

Has anyone else planted out a colocasia and let it overwinter outside? I've had one in a pot for the last 3 years which over winters in the greenhouse. Always thought these were too tender to survive. But I have noticed on a few members garden photos that they have them planted in the ground. I took it that they must lift them in winter.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I guess not from the lack of replies Marie. I think most who actually plant out lift and overwinter either a dry rhizomes or pot up and keep on the dry side in the colder months.

The pics in this topic are of those left out unprotected, and you would think that is a good idea, however one thing that seems to be occurring is that as the rhizomes clumps up with numerous pups you start to lose the huge leaf potential. I am torn between the desire for huge leaves, and the effect of a massive clump. Unfortunately if you lift a clump in autumn bits break off and do not have a rhizome so have to be overwintered growing :roll: I think I will lift in late spring to divide the rhizomes

Here is the clump in the back garden.... the leaves are only about 65cm but the they are getting on for 1.5m tall.
100909 C mammoth.jpg
This sequence of pics is comparing the mammoth last year with the resprouted mammoth this. A possible difference was the plants last year were individuals planted in a group so full leaf potiential was possible. This year they are clumps so more leaves but sharing a single root system and dividing the nutrients :roll:

Next year I may lift and divide in mid spring when there is less likelyhood of allowing rot to set in :wink:
170720089 C.mammoth.jpg
2708089 C mammoth.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright