When to cut Phormium flower spikes down?

Adam D

When to cut Phormium flower spikes down?

Post by Adam D »

I have been growing Phormiums for almost 10 years now and this summer I finally managed to get one to flower and it did really well sending up 16 flower spikes, I was well chuffed.

Now all of the flowers have gone and there are some seedheads left on the flower spike and I was beginning to wonder about when to cut them down.

Can anyone offer any advice on when they have cut theirs down please?
themes

Re: When to cut Phormium flower spikes down?

Post by themes »

I am in the same quandry Adam. I might leave the flower on it looks very architectural. I don't think leaving it on will harm the plant
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thats a lot of flower spikes Adam, well done, I had about four, but kept the flower stems on from last year and would imagine (without going out and counting) there would be no more than 10. I've not noticed any ill affect to the plant by leaving them on - I just like the extra height the stems give, but generally leave them on all Winter and cut them off in Spring.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine has flowered for the second time in 10 years just one both times. I think it is too dry here. My flower head will be cut off on the next few days or it will self sow everywhere like last time. There are about 200 seeds packed like pringles in every seed pod. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

We get flowering displays every March-April here, most of the people growing them and the ones in public area usually have the seed stems cut off in winter, although some are kept on
plan b

Post by plan b »

Had the first flower spike on mine this year , i think im going to leave it on over winter just to add to a bit more interest.

DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Dave Brown wrote:Mine has flowered for the second time in 10 years just one both times. I think it is too dry here. My flower head will be cut off on the next few days or it will self sow everywhere like last time. There are about 200 seeds packed like pringles in every seed pod. :wink:
That's interesting as I've never noticed any seedlings here. I had to pot sow some seeds to get one for the front of my house. I wonder if I've dug them up thinking they were weeds icon_scratch

Anyone know what the name is of a Phormium, probably three different colours on the leaf if I remember correctly, maxes out at about 3/4 ft. and I think has orangey flowers? I seen this whilst out pubbing and thought what a nice plant it was.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

DiCasS wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Mine has flowered for the second time in 10 years just one both times. I think it is too dry here. My flower head will be cut off on the next few days or it will self sow everywhere like last time. There are about 200 seeds packed like pringles in every seed pod. :wink:
That's interesting as I've never noticed any seedlings here. I had to pot sow some seeds to get one for the front of my house. I wonder if I've dug them up thinking they were weeds icon_scratch

Anyone know what the name is of a Phormium, probably three different colours on the leaf if I remember correctly, maxes out at about 3/4 ft. and I think has orangey flowers? I seen this whilst out pubbing and thought what a nice plant it was.

Di
Phormium cookanium tricolour?

The leaves are much more recurved than tenax.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks Adam, that's the one, but I got a bit mixed up with flower colour after googling. Doesn't matter as I think the flowers are secondary on this plant.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.