Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) Natural Chemical Wonder

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

my highlight has been the use of h202 on plants i would have chucked , but are still here recovering well from last winter
Last edited by Dave Brown on Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Copied these posts from Now that Autumn is here..... what been your highlight?? Topic as subject warrants it own topic ;-)
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
dave2166

Re: Now that Autumn is here..... what been your highlight??

Post by dave2166 »

redsquirrel wrote:my highlight has been the use of h202 on plants i would have chucked , but are still here recovering well from last winter
you mean hydrogen peroxide???

just been reading about its uses in horticulture... how successful have you been then?
where do you purcahse it from, seems the strength at 35% is the starting point
debsquirrel

Post by debsquirrel »

weve used hydrogen peroxide this year and to my amazement it worked icon_cheers two yucca rigidas, couple of robustas, brahea armata and edulis,and one small chamaerops, bought a small bottle from "good old boots" for a couple of quid. picking up some stunning specimens from gary wattons sale was our main highlight, even digging them out ourselves was great fun and meeting other members. Actually got our Trithrinax acanthacoma into the ground and made some much needed space. 2010 going to get some raised beds put up out the front to put a load of my agaves in,which are over taking the conservatory. Its overrun with impulse, oooh id love one of those, plants :lol: :lol: :lol:
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

that's pretty interesting, didn't realise you could buy that without getting MI5 knocking on your door at 3am !!!!

i found this ref on the web, http://drinkh2o2.com/#hydrogen-peroxide-gardening

any thoughts
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I aways assiciate this with women bleaching their hair, and was nasty stuff, but having read the webpage it seems amazing. I thought it could do with it's own topic so have copied some of the posts from the Autumn topic here to kick it off. :wink:

Well I be jiggared :lol: Mark Hall, who used to be on here, claimed he could leave Alocasia and Colocasia sitting in water over winter, my experience was Alocasia roots rot within days of sitting in water...... I said in jest on another topic his water must contain an extra oxygen atom as Alocasia must have oxygen at the root. I said H3O, which, I think, Simon corrected to H2O2 as H3O has an extra Hydrogen atom not Oxygen :roll: Well I have never claimed to be a scientist :lol: .

I didn't realise this stuff actually existed as an nautral chemical :shock: I shall be trying this out icon_thumright

Anyone else been using it, what are your findings :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) Natural Chemical Wonder

Post by dave2166 »

so now we know how good it appears to be, where can we buy it from and how often do we use it?
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

tescos :lol:
Last edited by Dave Brown on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just incase anyone rushes out to buy Domestos that is not Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) but a chlorine based bleach
weve

Post by weve »

Hi
How amazing!! altho I found it rather counter intuitive to use such a chemical on my plants even if very diluted. However I have now found that what I thought of as h2o2 isn't in fact h202 :!:

I, like ElTel, always thought that household bleach was basically just Hydrogen peroxide with a bit of perfume added and was contemplating using it as a possible source. As I know bleach is extremely alkaline (caustically so, I have now found it actually has a pH of 12 :shock: ) was worried about using h2o2 on acid lovers. After googling, found h2o2 was, in fact, a weak acid. (ph between 1 & 2). Being now totally confused. :? I checked on a bottle of Domestos and there is no mention of h202 at all, but it is mostly, in fact "Chlorine-based bleaching agents" which definitely isn't h2o2 . (otherwise there would be CL in the formula).

So I won't now use household bleach as a source for H2O2 as it doesn't seem to contain any (well Domestos anyway, being the only one I've looked at, but even so the pH would be totally wrong for using any household bleach on plants). The fact that domestos isn't h2o2 has come as a complete & utter suprise to me. (worrying really as I know people using it on their teeth, thinking exactly the same!). Instead I'll get some to try from the chemist. Should be widely available as a hair bleach.
best
weve
Last edited by weve on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

You'll find 5% H2O2 here:
Attachments
Vanish_Oxi_Action_.jpg
Vanish_Oxi_Action_.jpg (23.77 KiB) Viewed 7123 times
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Anyway, you will buy 3-5% H2O2 at every drugstore, I don't think you can legally get the stuff stronger (like 20-30%) cuz it is to dangerous, a small drop of it could seriously burn your skin.
Another good thing about H2O2 is that it is used (e.g. by geneticists) to cause mutations in plants, so if you use it in yer garden one day you may find that a new branch of your plant looks different from the mother plant. Then you obtain a patent on it, propagate it, sell it and you're rich :lol:
Ben Candlin

Post by Ben Candlin »

weve wrote:
worrying really as I know people using it on their teeth

weve
Domestos on your teeth! That really cannot be a good thing....
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I will look for something with H202 as the only ingredient rather than a brand product. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

dave,i didnt have a clue what i was doing so went into boots and asked for it. they kept it behind the counter where you get prescriptions. as i said earlier,only 3% so i couldnt come to any harm with it. i did wonder if it caused the extreme paleness in the edulis new growth but think thats more of a nutrition issue as i havent fed it anything this year.also added the results of cleaning my rigida with edulis pics.no manky tissue left anywhere
Attachments
edulis recovery1.jpg
edulis recovery1.jpg (32.31 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
edulis recovery2.jpg
edulis recovery2.jpg (25.26 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
edulis.jpg
edulis.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
rooted rigida.jpg
rooted rigida.jpg (28.31 KiB) Viewed 7040 times
rigida3.jpg
rigida3.jpg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 7039 times
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

I checked on a bottle of Domestos and there is no mention of h202 at all, but it is mostly, in fact "Chlorine-based bleaching agents" which definitely isn't h2o2
Agree, Domestos is chlorine bleach, not peroxide.
I don't think you can legally get the stuff stronger (like 20-30%) cuz it is to dangerous, a small drop of it could seriously burn your skin.
And, more significantly, because it is what some fanatics put in their drinks bottles to blow planes up with. Fortunately, they got caught before they could do it!
I will look for something with H202 as the only ingredient rather than a brand product. :wink:
Very wise! Most branded products also contain various soaps and thickening agents, which won't help.