Relocating Rex

Simba

Relocating Rex

Post by Simba »

Planning on having a little reshuffle, and was wondering when the best time for moving my young T Rex would be..
bobbyd44

Re: Relocating Rex

Post by bobbyd44 »

might not be too bad to move soon as it starts going dormant as long as you get alot of rootball.. but i am sure others will tell you for definate! icon_thumleft
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I do not have any experience myself, but I would say that this time of year is the best time.

The plant will soon go dormant, the soil is still warm and it shouldn't get stressed by hot and dry spells.

Nick moved his in Spring and I am sure that he said it suffered a bit of a knockback as a result.

Just remember to dig as big a rootball as you can.
weve

Post by weve »

I've no experience either, but I am also am inclined to think that about now would be good. i understand it can be quite an arduous task.

If afterwards you have any idea as to how far the roots go down, it'll be good info to post here so we all know for future reference. (there have been several past threads asking about this - you'll have more info than most after your re-locate)

have fun
weve
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

i moved mine last year having only been in its spot then for around 3 months, plants get dizzy in my garden...lol.
i was amazed how much root it had put on, laterally and down wards, don't be surprised to get roots over a foot long horizontally, nor worry about snapping them. mine survived the winter and is doing well

it might get moved again next year as part a reshuffle, but i would say this weekend is your last realistic chance if you want to get a bit of root settling to occur
Attachments
My Tetrapanax Rex
My Tetrapanax Rex
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

They resent being moved so get as much of a rootball as you can.... infact get all the rootball as any you miss will start sending up pups like crazy :D

Gary