Ensete ventricosum 'Red Stripe' seeds

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Mick B

Ensete ventricosum 'Red Stripe' seeds

Post by Mick B »

Hi all,

I am looking for Ensete ventricosum 'Red Stripe' seeds with the guaranteed red midrib and not the green form. Have found various sites with pictures of the red midrib but do they sprout as shown?

Has any member bought any seeds of this form and produced what you see on the tin?

If so, where is the best place to get some fresh 'Red Stripe' seeds, as will give me a winter interest.

Thanks in advance.

Mick.
AndyC

Re: Ensete ventricosum 'Red Stripe' seeds

Post by AndyC »

Try these guys Mick http://www.trebrown.com/shop/bananas.php
I've always had very good results from their seed and my resulting EV have the red mid ribs.
Andy
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ensete ventricosum is green with a red midrib when grown in bright or sunny conditions when they get to about 2 months old. It may remain all green if grown in deep shade or indoors. I am not aware of any E. ventricosum that is all green in the sun. Ensete glaucum is all green with a white bloom, and Ensete superbum is a blueish green. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

I have grown many and only ever had 2 that were all green, Dave, both grown in full sun so your theory doesnt hold up, sorry.
I think its the odd seed that turns up without the red midrib, I know I always mention having 'a green form' Ensete but Im not sure that there is a specific green form.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

how easy/hard are theses to germinate then??
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

tried for two years now with bananas from seed, tried the up and down temp thing, had the propagator on a timer clock, keep moist did it all and got stuff all !!!

if there is a special technique pls tell otherwise i will invest my seed money into other things i can grow and just buy a ruddy plant to three !!!
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

i have tried musa helens hybrid not managed to get anything so just checking on these before its more seeds in banana heaven!! :lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Big big difference in germinating Musa and Ensete, Ensetes are easy (I use the baggie method) and most Musa are blooming difficult.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adrian wrote:I have grown many and only ever had 2 that were all green, Dave, both grown in full sun so your theory doesnt hold up, sorry.
Adrian, I actually said none that I am aware of, you've now made me aware of two :lol: Perhaps I should have phrased it differently.... I have never had an all green one out of the couple of hundred I've grown over the last 29 years. :wink: However, the one's I overwintered in a spare bedroom in a previous house reverted to green until put back into the sun.

Bobby, Ensete seem to need fresh seed for best germination, I soak in hot water which expels air from the kernel. Then they need HEAT 30 to 35C. Their natural region is 7 deg north with tropical sun heating the ground. Although the wild form grows up to 1600m above sea level, there is no information on what level they germinate at. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by dave2166 »

Bobby, Ensete seem to need fresh seed for best germination, I soak in hot water which expels air from the kernel. Then they need HEAT 30 to 35C. Their natural region is 7 deg north with tropical sun heating the ground. Although the plant grow up to 1600m above sea level. There is no information on what level they germinate at. :roll:[/quote]

is that tap hot (60C or so) hand hot or boiling ???

if ensete are easier i will give some a whirl this spring
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

I would also recommend the Trebrown website, have had good results from Benny and Dave.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

dave2166 wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Bobby, Ensete seem to need fresh seed for best germination, I soak in hot water which expels air from the kernel. Then they need HEAT 30 to 35C. Their natural region is 7 deg north with tropical sun heating the ground. Although the plant grow up to 1600m above sea level. There is no information on what level they germinate at. :roll:
is that tap hot (60C or so) hand hot or boiling ???

if ensete are easier i will give some a whirl this spring
I use hand hot so problably about 55C, I think 60C hurts. Just drop them in a tumbler of the hot water and watch tiny air bubbles emerge from the top of the seed. Let the water cool and the water is drawn into the seed as it cools down. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Thanks for the recommendations and germination tips. Have ordered seeds today from Trebrown website. Also found this tip:-

The easiest way to germinate Ensete seeds is to suck on them for about 5-10 minutes, then place them on top of sterile soil in a sealable container, then add water, seal the container, and put it in a warm place. Germination occurs in 2-3 weeks this way.

Well let's suck it & see!!!
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

well definatley worth a try !! thanks for the advice hopefully with two packs i might get my own banana plantation next year!! :lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

They will make nice plants in the first year from seed but overwinter them and plant them out in thier second year for big plants.