Maurelli overwintering

Mr List

Re: Ensete Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by Mr List »

i have had two drying out in the box room for about a week now.
i left the leaves on and i am wondering if cutting them off is part of the overwintering process because of space or part of what is nessecery?

i think they seem strangly healthy and happy for a plant that has been dug up, had its roots chopped off and then stuck on a warm place.

how come the leaves don't wilt?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Ensete Ensete v Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:i have had two drying out in the box room for about a week now.
i left the leaves on and i am wondering if cutting them off is part of the overwintering process because of space or part of what is necessary?

i think they seem strangely healthy and happy for a plant that has been dug up, had its roots chopped off and then stuck on a warm place.

They are amazing aren't they! Many succulents will be affected by drought long before ensetes will. They are used to dry periods and must be adapted to these dry times. Cutting the leaves off for winter is more to do with space rather than anything else.
cordyman

Re: Ensete Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by cordyman »

mines been in the boiler house for 2 weeks now, its below the boiler so not in direct heat. Is there any check I can do to make sure its dry enough for storage and dusting with sulpher?

Or could i leave it in the boiler house indefinetely, i know they arn't supposed to dry out completely
Mr List

Re: Ensete Ensete v Ensete v Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by Mr List »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Mr List wrote:i have had two drying out in the box room for about a week now.
i left the leaves on and i am wondering if cutting them off is part of the overwintering process because of space or part of what is necessary?

i think they seem strangely healthy and happy for a plant that has been dug up, had its roots chopped off and then stuck on a warm place.

They are amazing aren't they! Many succulents will be affected by drought long before ensetes will. They are used to dry periods and must be adapted to these dry times. Cutting the leaves off for winter is more to do with space rather than anything else.
i suppose it might be healthier to leave the leaves on since less cuts means less places to rot.

i think i will cut the leaves off the two that are still outside and see if there is any difference in spring.
Sat

Re: Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by Sat »

I am keeping 2 x ensete growing by storing the pot in the bathroom which has a central heating. To keep humid will it be ok to spray water with the shower every few days?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Leaves are starting to get dried out appearance now

sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have just snapped a fresh new root off one of my maurelli's not on purpose when taking out the pot to check the bottom has kept dry. shocked it produced a new root, must be these mild temps we are still having confusing it.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It is not confused San. It is a tropical plant that grows year round when there is enough water to do so. They do not go dormant due to cold temps, they go dormant due to dry conditions.

warm and moist = growth
warm and dry = stopped
cool and moist = growth
cool and dry = stopped
just above freezing and dry = stopped
just above freezing and moist = rotted.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

I am adding that to my notebook dave. icon_salut
Sat

Re: Ensete v Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by Sat »

Sat wrote:I am keeping 2 x ensete growing by storing the pot in the bathroom which has a central heating. To keep humid will it be ok to spray water with the shower every few days?
Will it be ok to spray these ensete once a week or more often with warm shower as I am keeping them growing?

Does the soil need to remain mosit at all times?
Attachments
photo.JPG
pdid

Post by pdid »

See Daves`s comment.
Dave Brown wrote:They do not go dormant due to cold temps, they go dormant due to dry conditions.

warm and moist = growth
warm and dry = stopped
cool and moist = growth
cool and dry = stopped
just above freezing and dry = stopped
just above freezing and moist = rotted.
If you keep them wet they will grow as long as there is a good amount of light. They may grow leggy in poor light.

If you don`t water them the leaves will start to die back, but the plant will resume growth once it has water to grow with.

I had one in my conservatory for a few years, it grew very quickly when cared for properley and watered regularly. It was occasionally neglected and the leaves would start to crisp up and die back, when I started watering it again new growth would resume.
cordyman

Re: Ensete v Ensete v Ensete v Maurelii overwintering

Post by cordyman »

Sat wrote:
Sat wrote:I am keeping 2 x ensete growing by storing the pot in the bathroom which has a central heating. To keep humid will it be ok to spray water with the shower every few days?
Will it be ok to spray these ensete once a week or more often with warm shower as I am keeping them growing?

Does the soil need to remain mosit at all times?

my missus would go mad if I did that in the bath :lol: :lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mine two cordy. :lol: Mine have to be downstairs now, apart from the exception of the maurelli dry outs which were in my living room for 2 days. now back in the storage room, and are nicely drained of any excess water. :-)
Sat

Post by Sat »

Thanks all, will spraying warm water now and again help it and help avoid pest!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Sat wrote:Thanks all, will spraying warm water now and again help it and help avoid pest!

Are they going to stay in the bath like that? icon_scratch