Embothrium coccineum

MikeC

Embothrium coccineum

Post by MikeC »

Anyone grown one? How big in the UK do they get after say 10 or 15 years? (it's a small garden).

What sort of soil are you growing them in?

Any pictures?

How do you avoid phosphate fertilizers?

Really like the look of these large shrubs/trees but they sound difficult and I don't want something that's going to get too big.
MikeC

Re: Embothrium coccineum

Post by MikeC »

Actually I might be talking about EMBOTHRIUM lanceolatum.

icon_scratch
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

MikeC wrote:Actually I might be talking about EMBOTHRIUM lanceolatum.

icon_scratch
That's just a variety of E. coccineum icon_thumright

How big after 10-15 years? - depends on where you are. Maybe 4-5 metres in the far west, maybe just a metre in drier, cooler regions, maybe nothing at all in a cold area :ahhh!:
Bob

Post by Bob »

A house down the road from me has a group of three.

These were pruned back a year before I took these pictures in 2009. You can see the owner digging me up a sucker (which I failed with) they are lime haters btw.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Thanks for the photos. I love this tree, sadly the space I've got in this postage stamp sized garden won't accommodate a tree of that size. Don't want to be having to chop it down in 10 or 15 years time.

When I move to a house with a large garden, it's a must have.

icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Don't give up on it to soon, I went to a garden in south Wales this weekend in the NGS scheme. This guy had two and pruned them into a small narrow bush. They were in full flower looked great. The guy reckoned they stay in flower for 5 weeks. I am going to try and find one. Does any one know how much frost they will take. icon_thumright I know they grow in Bodnant Garden North Wales.