Mushrooms growing in my bamboo

gdudey

Mushrooms growing in my bamboo

Post by gdudey »

A bit of a strange one. I noticed some mushrooms or fungus growing amongst my bamboo earlier today. :shock:

Its a potted Pseudosasa. It was mulched with well rotted B&Q farmyard manure earlier in the season. I'm certain the manureis been bulked with mushroom compost (I think I read that on the bag) and this is the result. Should I get rid, if so how?
flounder

Re: Mushrooms growing in my bamboo

Post by flounder »

Seen this before in stuff with mushroom compost added. Personally, I'd just discard them as they come up. Wouldn't risk eating them no matter how much I love mushrooms. Eventually the spores will die off as long as you keep picking them
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Almost any moist, decomposing organic matter will host all manner of fungal organisms and mushroom-like fungi will be amongst them. Farmyard manure consists of partially rotted straw, decomposed sawdust and woodchips as well as the digested grass and vegetable matter that comprise the faeces. All perfect growing mediums for mushrooms and allied fungi. Recent hot weather combines with generous watering would have set them all off and now you have the fruiting bodies that we call toadstools and mushrooms.
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll pick them out over the weekend. The plant seems to be okay, its growing and pushing out new shoots. Would they cause the bamboo any harm?
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

I would leave them they look cool and exotic. I wonder has anyone grown mushrooms as an aronamental feature? lol. I dont think they do any harm at all.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Bamboo shoots with mushrooms on the menu then this week end? :lol: icon_thumright