Anybody checked their Dicksonia Antartica's recently

sanatic1234

Anybody checked their Dicksonia Antartica's recently

Post by sanatic1234 »

I was outside protecting some plants on thursday night as some frost was forecast, only turned out to be a light frost, when walking past one of my tree ferns i had a quick glance inside the crown and noticed one of the croziers has pushed up to the top of the crown already. I am thinking to myself is this the constant rain we have had that has done this and relatively mild days? It is only the one crozier that has pushed up so far, but i thought i would mention it for people who are living in more milder regions of the UK as you never know your tree ferns may have a lot more that have decided to push up. I will post a picture of my one that has pushed up tomorrow. :)
fern Rob

Re: Anybody checked there Dicksonia Antartica's recently

Post by fern Rob »

My Dicksonia antarctica have got new croziers in them, I checked when I was removing leaf matter from one I forgotten to put fleece in the crown.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mine have new croziers in them ready for this years flush. It is just one that has pushed up quite a bit more than any of the others, never ever happened in January like that before, it must be related to all this rain and relatively mild days.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Once i had one trying to frond in December but i think that was because it was a new import at the time.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Do you mean croziers or knuckles?

Croziers are when you can see the frond coiled up from the side, where as a knuckle is when you and only see the top pushing up. Knuckles are relatively tough and easy to protect, but croziers more likely to snap. If you have croziers already you may have problems.

I lifted the ball of fleece on mine to see how the knuckles were. They are all ok, but not immanently about to move.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yes that is what i mean dave knuckles, but still there is only that one that has pushed up some way more than the others. The other ones i have to feel inside a little bit but not this one I take away the fleece ball away and it is staring me straight in the face.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

All mine are as expected but my father in laws one has an early mover! Bad news as you want them to stay still until at least April.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Funny, I looked only yesterday at the Fern glaring at the Ensete as I walked past it. ''don't you dare die on me'... :lol: :lol:

I have bumps under brown fur on the fern if thats any help San.

You don't want nothing to peep out yet, today its white over with frost here.

icon_sunny
samj

Post by samj »

My D. antartica has it knuckles, but my D. squarrossa is still growing fronds (at a slow rate). Is this one of the reasons why squarrosa are more tender?
multim

Post by multim »

I checked mine yesterday, knuckles covered in their furry, downy loveliness. I have one in an unheated lean-to which is growing new croziers.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

kata wrote:Funny, I looked only yesterday at the Fern glaring at the Ensete as I walked past it. ''don't you dare die on me'... :lol: :lol:

I have bumps under brown fur on the fern if thats any help San.

You don't want nothing to peep out yet, today its white over with frost here.

icon_sunny
I too have the knuckles under the furr kata, i just have one that has decided top poke its head out of the furr. :lol: but like i mentioned that is the only one, the rest are all keeping snug as a bug under a rug.
kata

Post by kata »

Good San,

Everytime I go in the garden that Ensete is doin me ed in to look.... :lol: :lol: :lol: but I don't.

I decided to add a plant pot upside down on the Fern yesterday, good job I did now.

Its got a fleece ball, its own Fern leaves, fleece draped and the plant pot now.

icon_sunny
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Your tree fern will be fine with a fleece ball kata, unless extremes weather conditions are forecast. But i have already had my discussion on that one. :lol:
As long as no more knuckles pop up to say hello i will be happy. :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

My Fern is only new last summer San,

The crown has no real depth to it yet, Thats why the leaves and pot to hold the fleece in really. Roll on April, lets be knowin.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think i had that problem kata with a not so deep crown i ended up making mine look like it was wearing a turbin is it called what arabs wear :lol: only way i could keep my fleece balls in them.

The picture as promised about the one knuckle wanderer :lol:
Attachments
phpSxPJQZPM.jpg