Colocasia ID

GREVILLEAJ

Colocasia ID

Post by GREVILLEAJ » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:23 pm

Thought I'd bump this up again after a few years to see if more light can be shed on this mystery Colocasia.

It was bought as a dry tuber of Xanthosoma violacaea. Once it grew it was obvious I had a Colocasia. The similarity with the deep colour of the stem was obvious but the leaf shape was definitely not Xanthosoma.

C.Pink China has a darker eye that matches it's darker stem but on this mystery Colocasia there is a white eye on the leaf in stark contrast with dark stem. Bigger than pink China it has certainly proved to be as hardy. In the unheated greenhouse both keep at least one leaf all winter. It also clumps in the same way as well as produce stolons. The stolons on this unnamed variety are short and stubby. This has multiplied as freely as Pink China over the years.

it is a mystery why this has not been named. It may well be a 'one-off' because I would have thought that if known it would be as popular and freely available as others like Pink China.
rps20191127_222411.jpg

GREVILLEAJ

Colocasia ID

Post by GREVILLEAJ » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:33 pm

The collies have spent the entire summer sitting in a shallow pond with large leaved Cannas and Gingers. They were all lifted for winter housing so now look a bit drawn.
rps20191127_223403_797.jpg
The more sun on the stems the darker the colour. The one at the back was quite shaded