What are odora signs, it needs water when indoorsDo I wait f

nicebutdim

What are odora signs, it needs water when indoorsDo I wait f

Post by nicebutdim »

What are alocasia odora signs, it needs water when indoorsDo I wait for wilting ? or yellowing.I am trying to keep it in leaf through winter as it was very long winded waiting for it to come into leaf in summer,so it's on a heated tray at about 65F hoping to keep it going until spring.Once it goes yellow through dryness I know it won't revert to green again.Does anyone have any advice on this.The compost is nearly all gravel as I have lost a few to rotting so maybe I have been overcautious
countrylover

Re: What are odora signs, it needs water when indoorsDo I wa

Post by countrylover »

Never let the leaves droop or go yellow. It's a great shock for the plant and doing it on and on you'll exhaust it.
If heating tray's on and soil is so well drained you should simply keep checking it quite often, even daily. Just stick your finger in it and if you feel dryness water it good and proper till water escapes thru the drainage holes. You'll learn with time how fast soil gets dry and how often to water. If you let it dry a bit more every now and then that will only do good to your plant.
You could also get yourself one of those soil moisture indicators (looks like a label with long stick) Just stick the end in and it shows you when the soil is getting dry by changing the colour e.g. from green to yellow.
You may make it grow too, so it can defend itself from mould.
I keep my Xanthosomas under a led lamp and grow like crazy even one pup showed up :mrgreen: And my odora is just treated as an ordinary houseplant over the winter.
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

countrylover wrote:Never let the leaves droop or go yellow. It's a great shock for the plant and doing it on and on you'll exhaust it.
If heating tray's on and soil is so well drained you should simply keep checking it quite often, even daily. Just stick your finger in it and if you feel dryness water it good and proper till water escapes thru the drainage holes. You'll learn with time how fast soil gets dry and how often to water. If you let it dry a bit more every now and then that will only do good to your plant.
You could also get yourself one of those soil moisture indicators (looks like a label with long stick) Just stick the end in and it shows you when the soil is getting dry by changing the colour e.g. from green to yellow.
You may make it grow too, so it can defend itself from mould.
I keep my Xanthosomas under a led lamp and grow like crazy even one pup showed up :mrgreen: And my odora is just treated as an ordinary houseplant over the winter.
Thanks country lover,I have lost a bit of faith in moisture meters as I found that if the probe touches the roots ,the plant, even bone dry will read as very wet.I will take your advice though and water it well.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

My odora grows in normal potting soil and is kept rather on a dry side but once a week is put in a bucket of water for a while so it gets a good soak.
If you lose yours (touch wood) I'll send you a pup of mine :wink:
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

countrylover wrote:My odora grows in normal potting soil and is kept rather on a dry side but once a week is put in a bucket of water for a while so it gets a good soak.
If you lose yours (touch wood) I'll send you a pup of mine :wink:
Thanks for the offer,you're lucky though with the weather in Poland, a nice comfortable -14 I read,we have had to put up with 20mm of snow.You don't know how lucky you are. In my part of the world we had a -3 last night.The easy option would be to let it go dormant but that would involve waiting a lifetime for it to grow next year
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Was -22C 2 nights ago and plenty of snow. So -14 doesn't impress me.
Last night -10C here in Heilbronn.
The easy option would be to let it go dormant but that would involve waiting a lifetime for it to grow next year
That's alocasia for you!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If you are keeping the soil temp at 18C you can water regularly as Marcel said. Just allow the top to dry out for a day or so between. They do not require high light, so can grow well over winter.

Mine are kept cooler and therefore drier, but my A x calidora has just started a new leaf even though temps are 7 to 12C in my conservatory. :wink:

Don't let it go dormant or you start again in leaf size. They do naturally reduce a few leaves over winter, for me anyway.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by nicebutdim »

Dave Brown wrote:If you are keeping the soil temp at 18C you can water regularly as Marcel said. Just allow the top to dry out for a day or so between. They do not require high light, so can grow well over winter.

Mine are kept cooler and therefore drier, but my A x calidora has just started a new leaf even though temps are 7 to 12C in my conservatory. :wink:

Don't let it go dormant or you start again in leaf size. They do naturally reduce a few leaves over winter, for me anyway.
Well that's a relief about the watering,I was thinking of rigging up a cheap Ikea led over it because I've always pictured these growing in full sun,but they can get by with low light levels,so it won't be dissapointed there.